All pins sent by the municipality unless otherwise noted
Built along a voyageur route, the settlement was named after the river which was named because the mouth was different to see from the canoe routes.
Donated by Spencer SandorBruce Mines was was named for James Bruce, the 8th Earl of Elgin who was Governor of the Province of Canada from 1846 until 1854 during which time copper mines were operating in the community.
Donated by Spencer SandorDubreuilville takes its name from the four brothers who founded the community - Napoleon, Joachin, Augustin and Marcel Dubreuilville. It can be pronounced “DOO-bruh-ville” is English, or “du-broi-VIL” in French.
Elliot Lake takes it's name from the waterbody of the same name. The most common story told about the lake's name origin is that a logging camp cook named Elliot went missing. The next morning he was found by the crew, who from that point on called the site "the lake where we found Elliot".
Donated by Joe Tiernay
Donated by Susan Gardner
The Township of Hornepayne was sparsely populated until the Canadian Northern Railway’s Fitzback station brought settlers to the area. Less than five years after the railway came through the community was renamed after Robert Horne-Payne, President of the British Empire Trust Company and advisor to the railway builders.
Huron Shores takes its name from the shores of Lake Huron on which it is located. The lake takes its name from the French name given to the Wendat Indigenous confederacy whose original territory extended from the St. Lawrence River Valley to the western part of Lake Huron. The French name “Huron” is not flattering, taken from either the French word for “ruffian” or “boar’s head” in reference to the hairstyle of the Wendat warriors.
The multiple names of Macdonald, Meredith and Aberdeen Additional Township come from John Sandfield Macdonald, first Premier of Ontario; Sir William Ralph Meredith, Chief Justice of the High Court of Ontario from 1894-1923; and John Campbell Gordon, 1st Marquess of Aberdeen and Temair, and Governor General of Canada from 1893-1898.
Plummer Township was named after William Plummer, an underground captain at the Wellington Mine who served as Reeve of Sault Ste. Marie during which time the town saw its first two schoolhouses, a firehall, and miles of sidewalks built.
Donated by the municipality
Donated by Joe Tiernay
Prince Township is not named after a member of the royal family, but rather after John Prince, an early settler to the area who was later appointed a judge of the Algoma District.
Sault Ste. Marie translates as St. Mary's Rapids and is one of the oldest French settlements in North America.
Referring to the area by the name of the river pre-dates French arrival. The Ojibwa called the area Baawitigong meaning place of the rapids.
Donated by Spencer Sandor
A pin commemorating the 75th anniversary of Sault Ste Marie's incorporation as a City. The community had originally incorporated as a Town in 1887.
Donated by Brandan Chowan
Spanish takes its name from the railway station it formed around. Spanish River Station was named after the river itself which has competing name origins including being located near French River, or being home to a community of Spanish speaking Indigenous people.
The North Shore municipality takes its name from its position along the north shore of Georgian Bay which is part of Lake Huron.
Thessalon takes its name from an Ojibwa word meaning ‘point of land’, referring to Thessalon Point which reaches out over 2 kilometres into Georgian Bay.
Wawa was temporarily called “Jamestown” from 1951 until 1956 after Sir James Dunn, President of the Algoma Steel Corporation. After Dunn’s death, the original name was restored. It comes from the Ojibwa word for “wild goose” and is in reference to nearby Wawa Lake.
Still Needed: Johnson Township, Township of White River
A lapel pin for Loon Dollar Monument Park in Echo Bay, Township of MacDonald, Meredith and Aberdeen Additional.